Thursday 19 December 2013

Shrink pot tutorial Pt2

I think I may have covered this part before (making a lid) but never mind it's now all together to give continuity. The pot I'm going to lid is a Maple pot I made in the spring; so should be nice and stable. I constantly have loads of pots half finished because I like to give them a nice amount of time to dry and stabilise, particularly if they are to have a fitted lid. 

The first step is to square off the rim at the disc sander ( I also redo the base in case it has developed a wobble during drying)


Next I need to make a tracing of the inside of the rim to make a wooden disc. I use SARAL which is just like carbon paper. In the picture I have a soft rubber mat that will 'give' a little, then a sheet of printer paper and finally the Saral face down.

Push down hard with the rim of the pot to make an impression.



Here I've got some seasoned stock of Oak about 1/4" thick to make the disc from (same as the base). This time the Saral is face down on the wood and the rim impression is re-traced:


Cut out roughly at the band saw.

I didn't take a picture but I made the disc a snug fit at the disc sander and chamfered the bottom edge for easy registration.



Here's some Pippy Elm about 3/4" thick that I've chosen for the lid. I cut it oversize to start with at the band saw. 



I could have screwed the disc on earlier but didn't in this instance.

I then pushed the pot on and traced round to get the lid shape.

Then tidyed up and did a bit of shaping back at the disc sander.

I like to give every edge a nice little chamfer which makes things look tidy and guards against splintering out.





To finish it off I added a bit of Burr Alder as a finial. Here it is with another pot with a burr Elm lid


Some more I did in the same batch with Elm, Beech and Walnut lids.

Finally some larger tea/coffee caddies with scoops hung from carved side branches.


Cheers John.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice work they look great ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    I have another method of getting the outlines of the top of the pot for lid making. I saw off a slice of the pot and use that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drat, I meant to type "a slice off the top ..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Richard sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ideas on patterning the top. I have been doing these pots for several months and this is always a problem. I tried artist copy paper and carbon paper, but never on a cushioned surface. I will have to do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John, I Made such a pot myself out of fresh cherry wood. But after a week the walls of the pot start to crack. Is there a specific way u use for drying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldnt entertain Cherry, its a nightmare. Try alder or birch or anything except cherry!

      Delete
    2. Urobiť dieru a nechať v kôre niekoľko mesiacov až tak olupiť a urobiť vonkajšu stranu pohara dalej čerešňa strom najlepšie ked je odrezana v zime

      Delete
  7. Cherry is quite prone to cracking and needs to be dried very slowly i.e. dampening it a little from time to time and a refigeration in a part open paper bag can help. Great ideas on the lids!

    ReplyDelete